Xilinx reVISION support on Ultra96

Hi Xilinx, Avnet and Hackster.io Teams,

I’m looking for solutions to implement hardware (FPGA) accelerated stereo-vision on the Ultra96 board.

Using an 96boards MIPI expansion board, I will connect to the Ultra96 two OV5647 cameras through the MIPI CSI-2 interface. The image of the two cameras will be captured by Xilinx MIPI CSI-2 RX Subsystem IP-s, after which some pre-processing will be applied. From there the two images will be feed into a stereo-vision (disparity map calculation) algorithm.

Looking for solutions to implement the disparity map calculation algorithm, I found the Xilinx reVISION project, which looks like exactly what I need. It is a Software Defined Development framework that allows creating hardware (FPGA) accelerated AI and Computer Vision applications targeting Zynq® SoCs. On the Computer Vision side it has support for MIPI inputs, has built in stereo vision algorithms and the code is written like in OpenCV (xfOpenCV)

The framework has a Getting Started guide (targeting the ZCU102 board). I tried to follow this to see if it works with the Ultra96 too.

The first this is missing, I think, is the Platform / Hardware specification (DSA / HDF) file for the Ultra96 board. This is needed for creating an Application project in the Xilinx SDx IDE.

If my understanding is correct this file could be built from Xilinx Vivado, but I think, I will need some help here. Is there a guide that describes how to build such a file for a new platform? Or can some of you provide me some help?

Note: the project I’m working on is the following:
Stereo Vision and LiDAR powered Donkey Car

Thanks,
Attila

@craig-abramson Could you help Attila out?

Hi,

Got some progress, but it’s still not working…

I followed the SDSoC Environment Tutorial - Platform Creation tutorial, which describes how to create a platform that can be used for SDx Application projects.

The tutorial has 3 parts:

1. Exporting a project as DSA file from Vivado - this includes:
  • creating a Vivado project with a board design containing ZYNQ UltraScale+ MPSoC and some other component (clock wizard, system reset-s, AXI interconnects, interrupts, etc. I also added some MIPI CSI interfaces)_

• validating the design

• setting some PFM properties

• generating HDL output products

• exporting and validating DSA

• exporting hardware and launching Xilinx SDK

(all the above worked as expected)

1. Creating FSBL project and Linker Script with Xilinx SDK - this includes:
  • creating a FSBL project with the fsbl.elf exported by Vivado

• creating a Linker Script

• preparing a folder with some files that will be used in the Xiling SDx platform

(these also worked ok)

1. Creating custom platform and application in Xilinx SDx - this includes:
  • creating a Platform Project, Generating a new Platform and uploading to Custom Repositories
    (this step was also successful)

• creating an Application Project with the newly created platform - I used the matrix multiplication example
    (this also worked)

• building the Application Project created above

when I try to build the project, it FAILS at the Generating data motion network phase with the following error:

ERROR: [DMAnalysis 83-4503] No M_AXI_GP port found in the platform!
    ERROR: [DMAnalysis 83-4445] Failed scheduling data transfer graph!

This is weird because, as PFM.AXI_PORT has some ports defined:

set_property PFM.AXI_PORT { \
     M_AXI_HPM0_FPD {memport "M_AXI_GP"} \
     M_AXI_HPM1_FPD {memport "M_AXI_GP"} \
     M_AXI_HPM0_LPD {memport "M_AXI_GP"} \
     S_AXI_HPC0_FPD {memport "S_AXI_HPC" sptag "HPC0"} \
     S_AXI_HPC1_FPD {memport "S_AXI_HPC" sptag "HPC1"} \
     S_AXI_HP0_FPD {memport "S_AXI_HP" sptag "HP0" memory "zynq_ultra_ps_e_0 HP0_DDR_LOWOCM"} \
     S_AXI_HP1_FPD {memport "S_AXI_HP" sptag "HP1" memory "zynq_ultra_ps_e_0 HP1_DDR_LOWOCM"} \
    } [get_bd_cells /zynq_ultra_ps_e_0]

and the ultra96_board.dsa/ultra96_board.hpfm also seems to have the M_AXI_GP-s defined:

<xd:parameter xd:name="PSU__USE__M_AXI_GP0" xd:instanceRef="zynq_ultra_ps_e_0" xd:componentRef="zynq_ultra_ps_e" xd:isValid="count($designComponent/xd:connection/xd:busInterface[@xd:instanceRef=$instance and @xd:name='zynq_ultra_ps_e_0_M_AXI_HPM0_FPD'])>0" xd:value="1"/>
    <xd:parameter xd:name="PSU__USE__M_AXI_GP1" xd:instanceRef="zynq_ultra_ps_e_0" xd:componentRef="zynq_ultra_ps_e" xd:isValid="count($designComponent/xd:connection/xd:busInterface[@xd:instanceRef=$instance and @xd:name='zynq_ultra_ps_e_0_M_AXI_HPM1_FPD'])>0" xd:value="1"/>
    <xd:parameter xd:name="PSU__USE__M_AXI_GP2" xd:instanceRef="zynq_ultra_ps_e_0" xd:componentRef="zynq_ultra_ps_e" xd:isValid="count($designComponent/xd:connection/xd:busInterface[@xd:instanceRef=$instance and @xd:name='zynq_ultra_ps_e_0_M_AXI_HPM0_LPD'])>0" xd:value="1"/>

(Note: first time I did not had the M_AXI_GP-s in the PFM.AXI_PORT, but later regenerated the DSA and updated the Platform Project. After this I tried to clean and re-build the rebuild the Application Project. Also tried to create new Application Project to ensure the Platform is up to date, but did not helped)

Full build log:
19:34:57 **** Build of configuration Debug for project ultra96_board_test_application ****
make pre-build main-build 
sdsoc_make_clean Debug

Building file: ../src/main.cpp
Invoking: SDS++ Compiler
sds++ -Wall -O0 -g -I"../src" -I../libs/sds_utils -c -fmessage-length=0 -MT"src/main.o" -Wno-unused-label -MMD -MP -MF"src/main.d" -MT"src/main.o" -o "src/main.o" "../src/main.cpp" -sds-hw matmul_partition_accel matmul.cpp  -clkid 2 -sds-end -sds-sys-config standalone -sds-proc standalone -sds-pf "/home/bluetiger/dev/Xilinx/SDx/ultra96_board/export/ultra96_board"
Create data motion intermediate representation
Compiling /home/bluetiger/dev/Xilinx/SDx/ultra96_board_test_application/src/main.cpp
sds++ log file saved as /home/bluetiger/dev/Xilinx/SDx/ultra96_board_test_application/Debug/_sds/reports/sds_main.log

Finished building: ../src/main.cpp

Building file: ../src/matmul.cpp
sds++ -Wall -O0 -g -I"../src" -I../libs/sds_utils -c -fmessage-length=0 -MT"src/matmul.o" -Wno-unused-label -MMD -MP -MF"src/matmul.d" -MT"src/matmul.o" -o "src/matmul.o" "../src/matmul.cpp" -sds-hw matmul_partition_accel matmul.cpp  -clkid 2 -sds-end -sds-sys-config standalone -sds-proc standalone -sds-pf "/home/bluetiger/dev/Xilinx/SDx/ultra96_board/export/ultra96_board"
Processing -sds-hw block for matmul_partition_accel
Performing accelerator source linting for matmul_partition_accel
Performing pragma generation
INFO: [PragmaGen 83-3231] Successfully generated tcl script: /home/bluetiger/dev/Xilinx/SDx/ultra96_board_test_application/Debug/_sds/vhls/matmul_partition_accel.tcl
Moving function matmul_partition_accel to Programmable Logic
sds++ log file saved as /home/bluetiger/dev/Xilinx/SDx/ultra96_board_test_application/Debug/_sds/reports/sds_matmul.log

Finished building: ../src/matmul.cpp

Building target: ultra96_board_test_application.elf
Invoking: SDS++ Linker
sds++ --remote_ip_cache /home/bluetiger/dev/Xilinx/SDx/ip_cache -o "ultra96_board_test_application.elf"  ./src/main.o ./src/matmul.o    -dmclkid 2  -sds-sys-config standalone -sds-proc standalone -sds-pf "/home/bluetiger/dev/Xilinx/SDx/ultra96_board/export/ultra96_board"
Analyzing object files
... /home/bluetiger/dev/Xilinx/SDx/ultra96_board_test_application/Debug/src/main.o
... /home/bluetiger/dev/Xilinx/SDx/ultra96_board_test_application/Debug/src/matmul.o
Generating data motion network
INFO: [DMAnalysis 83-4494] Analyzing hardware accelerators...
WARNING: [DMAnalysis 83-10051] Invalid clock id 2 for platform ultra96_board
INFO: [DMAnalysis 83-4497] Analyzing callers to hardware accelerators...
INFO: [DMAnalysis 83-4444] Scheduling data transfer graph for partition 0
ERROR: [DMAnalysis 83-4503] No M_AXI_GP port found in the platform!
ERROR: [DMAnalysis 83-4445] Failed scheduling data transfer graph!
Data motion generation exited with return code 1
- errors detected
sds++ log file saved as /home/bluetiger/dev/Xilinx/SDx/ultra96_board_test_application/Debug/_sds/reports/sds.log
ERROR: [SdsCompiler 83-5004] Build failed
make: *** [ultra96_board_test_application.elf] Error 1

makefile:45: recipe for target 'ultra96_board_test_application.elf' failed

19:37:10 Build Finished (took 2m:12s.964ms)

Uploaded the generated ultra96_board.dsa to my Dropbox: https://www.dropbox.com/s/jlggj7nwadjfw44/ultra96_board.dsa?dl=0

@craig-abramson, @Jessica_Hackster any idea who could help me with this problem?

Thanks,
Attila

Hi,

I managed to workaround the above problem. Seems that the name of the DSA file (and the name of the SDx Platform Project), must be the same as the PFM_NAME set in Vivado. Otherwise, weird errors like the above are generated. More details about the problem / solution I found on the following Xilinx Forum thread.

After exporting the DSA file with the correct name, creating a new SDx Plaform Project, the SDx Application Project is successfully built.

SDx Build log:
20:08:58 **** Build of configuration Debug for project test ****
make pre-build main-build 
sdsoc_make_clean Debug

Building file: ../src/main.cpp
sds++ -Wall -O0 -g -I"../src" -I../libs/sds_utils -c -fmessage-length=0 -MT"src/main.o" -Wno-unused-label -MMD -MP -MF"src/main.d" -MT"src/main.o" -o "src/main.o" "../src/main.cpp" -sds-hw matmul_partition_accel matmul.cpp  -clkid 2 -sds-end -sds-sys-config standalone -sds-proc standalone -sds-pf "/home/bluetiger/dev/XIlinx/SDx/ultra96/export/ultra96"
Compiling /home/bluetiger/dev/XIlinx/SDx/test/src/main.cpp
sds++ log file saved as /home/bluetiger/dev/XIlinx/SDx/test/Debug/_sds/reports/sds_main.log

Finished building: ../src/main.cpp

Building file: ../src/matmul.cpp
sds++ -Wall -O0 -g -I"../src" -I../libs/sds_utils -c -fmessage-length=0 -MT"src/matmul.o" -Wno-unused-label -MMD -MP -MF"src/matmul.d" -MT"src/matmul.o" -o "src/matmul.o" "../src/matmul.cpp" -sds-hw matmul_partition_accel matmul.cpp  -clkid 2 -sds-end -sds-sys-config standalone -sds-proc standalone -sds-pf "/home/bluetiger/dev/XIlinx/SDx/ultra96/export/ultra96"
Processing -sds-hw block for matmul_partition_accel
Performing accelerator source linting for matmul_partition_accel
Performing pragma generation
INFO: [PragmaGen 83-3231] Successfully generated tcl script: /home/bluetiger/dev/XIlinx/SDx/test/Debug/_sds/vhls/matmul_partition_accel.tcl
Moving function matmul_partition_accel to Programmable Logic
sds++ log file saved as /home/bluetiger/dev/XIlinx/SDx/test/Debug/_sds/reports/sds_matmul.log

Finished building: ../src/matmul.cpp

Building target: test.elf
Invoking: SDS++ Linker
sds++ --remote_ip_cache /home/bluetiger/dev/XIlinx/SDx/ip_cache -o "test.elf"  ./src/main.o ./src/matmul.o    -dmclkid 2  -sds-sys-config standalone -sds-proc standalone -sds-pf "/home/bluetiger/dev/XIlinx/SDx/ultra96/export/ultra96"
Analyzing object files
... /home/bluetiger/dev/XIlinx/SDx/test/Debug/src/main.o
... /home/bluetiger/dev/XIlinx/SDx/test/Debug/src/matmul.o
Generating data motion network
INFO: [DMAnalysis 83-4494] Analyzing hardware accelerators...
INFO: [DMAnalysis 83-4497] Analyzing callers to hardware accelerators...
INFO: [DMAnalysis 83-4444] Scheduling data transfer graph for partition 0
INFO: [DMAnalysis 83-4446] Creating data motion network hardware for partition 0
INFO: [DMAnalysis 83-4448] Creating software stub functions for partition 0
INFO: [DMAnalysis 83-4450] Generating data motion network report for partition 0
INFO: [DMAnalysis 83-4454] Rewriting caller code
Creating block diagram (BD)
Creating top.bd.tcl
/media/bluetiger/Data/Xilinx/SDx/2018.2/bin/cf2xd: 4: /media/bluetiger/Data/Xilinx/SDx/2018.2/bin/cf2xd: [[: not found
/media/bluetiger/Data/Xilinx/SDx/2018.2/bin/cf2xd: 4: /media/bluetiger/Data/Xilinx/SDx/2018.2/bin/cf2xd: [[: not found
/media/bluetiger/Data/Xilinx/SDx/2018.2/bin/cf_xsd: 4: /media/bluetiger/Data/Xilinx/SDx/2018.2/bin/cf_xsd: [[: not found
/media/bluetiger/Data/Xilinx/SDx/2018.2/bin/cf_xsd: 4: /media/bluetiger/Data/Xilinx/SDx/2018.2/bin/cf_xsd: [[: not found
Rewrite caller functions
Compile caller rewrite file /home/bluetiger/dev/XIlinx/SDx/test/Debug/_sds/swstubs/main.cpp
Prepare hardware access API functions
Create accelerator stub functions
Compile hardware access API functions
Compile accelerator stub functions
Create board support package library
Preliminary link application ELF
Enable generation of hardware programming files
Enable generation of boot files
Calling VPL

****** vpl v2018.2.1 (64-bit)
  **** SW Build 2288692 on Thu Jul 26 18:23:50 MDT 2018
    ** Copyright 1986-2018 Xilinx, Inc. All Rights Reserved.

Attempting to get a license: ap_opencl
WARNING: [VPL 17-301] Failed to get a license for 'ap_opencl'. Explanation: The license feature ap_opencl could not be found.
Resolution: Check the status of your licenses in the Vivado License Manager. For debug help search Xilinx Support for "Licensing FAQ". 
Attempting to get a license: ap_sdsoc
Feature available: ap_sdsoc
INFO: [VPL 60-895]   Target platform: /home/bluetiger/dev/XIlinx/SDx/ultra96/export/ultra96/ultra96.xpfm
INFO: [VPL 60-423]   Target device: ultra96
INFO: [VPL 60-1032] Extracting DSA to /home/bluetiger/dev/XIlinx/SDx/test/Debug/_sds/p0/vivado/.local/dsa
INFO: [VPL 60-251]   Hardware accelerator integration...
Creating Vivado project and starting FPGA synthesis.
[20:16:03] Block-level synthesis in progress, 0 of 2 jobs complete, 2 jobs running.
[20:17:04] Block-level synthesis in progress, 0 of 2 jobs complete, 2 jobs running.
[20:18:13] Block-level synthesis in progress, 0 of 2 jobs complete, 2 jobs running.
[20:19:16] Block-level synthesis in progress, 2 of 2 jobs complete, 0 jobs running.
[20:20:17] Top-level synthesis in progress.
[20:21:17] Top-level synthesis in progress.
[20:22:17] Block-level synthesis in progress, 3 of 2 jobs complete, 0 jobs running.
[20:25:20] Finished 2nd of 6 tasks (FPGA linking synthesized kernels to platform). Elapsed time: 00h 14m 13s 

[20:25:20] Starting logic optimization..
[20:25:36] Phase 1 Retarget
[20:25:41] Phase 2 Constant propagation
[20:25:41] Phase 3 Sweep
[20:25:51] Phase 4 BUFG optimization
[20:25:56] Phase 5 Shift Register Optimization
[20:26:06] Phase 6 Post Processing Netlist
[20:27:38] Finished 3rd of 6 tasks (FPGA logic optimization). Elapsed time: 00h 02m 17s 

[20:27:38] Starting logic placement..
[20:27:53] Phase 1 Placer Initialization
[20:27:53] Phase 1.1 Placer Initialization Netlist Sorting
[20:28:03] Phase 1.2 IO Placement/ Clock Placement/ Build Placer Device
[20:28:18] Phase 1.3 Build Placer Netlist Model
[20:28:39] Phase 1.4 Constrain Clocks/Macros
[20:28:39] Phase 2 Global Placement
[20:28:39] Phase 2.1 Floorplanning
[20:29:14] Phase 2.2 Physical Synthesis In Placer
[20:29:25] Phase 3 Detail Placement
[20:29:25] Phase 3.1 Commit Multi Column Macros
[20:29:30] Phase 3.2 Commit Most Macros & LUTRAMs
[20:29:35] Phase 3.3 Area Swap Optimization
[20:29:35] Phase 3.4 Pipeline Register Optimization
[20:29:35] Phase 3.5 Small Shape Clustering
[20:29:35] Phase 3.6 DP Optimization
[20:29:45] Phase 3.7 Flow Legalize Slice Clusters
[20:29:45] Phase 3.8 Slice Area Swap
[20:29:50] Phase 3.9 Commit Slice Clusters
[20:29:50] Phase 3.10 Re-assign LUT pins
[20:29:55] Phase 3.11 Pipeline Register Optimization
[20:29:55] Phase 4 Post Placement Optimization and Clean-Up
[20:29:55] Phase 4.1 Post Commit Optimization
[20:30:05] Phase 4.1.1 Post Placement Optimization
[20:30:05] Phase 4.1.1.1 BUFG Insertion
[20:30:10] Phase 4.2 Post Placement Cleanup
[20:30:15] Phase 4.3 Placer Reporting
[20:30:15] Phase 4.4 Final Placement Cleanup
[20:30:26] Finished 4th of 6 tasks (FPGA logic placement). Elapsed time: 00h 02m 48s 

[20:30:26] Starting logic routing..
[20:30:42] Phase 1 Build RT Design
[20:31:18] Phase 2 Router Initialization
[20:31:18] Phase 2.1 Create Timer
[20:31:23] Phase 2.2 Fix Topology Constraints
[20:31:23] Phase 2.3 Pre Route Cleanup
[20:31:23] Phase 2.4 Global Clock Net Routing
[20:31:28] Phase 2.5 Update Timing
[20:31:59] Phase 3 Initial Routing
[20:32:04] Phase 4 Rip-up And Reroute
[20:32:04] Phase 4.1 Global Iteration 0
[20:33:40] Phase 4.2 Global Iteration 1
[20:33:45] Phase 5 Delay and Skew Optimization
[20:33:45] Phase 5.1 Delay CleanUp
[20:33:45] Phase 5.1.1 Update Timing
[20:33:51] Phase 5.2 Clock Skew Optimization
[20:33:51] Phase 6 Post Hold Fix
[20:33:51] Phase 6.1 Hold Fix Iter
[20:33:51] Phase 6.1.1 Update Timing
[20:34:01] Phase 7 Route finalize
[20:34:01] Phase 8 Verifying routed nets
[20:34:01] Phase 9 Depositing Routes
[20:34:01] Phase 10 Post Router Timing
[20:34:01] Finished 5th of 6 tasks (FPGA routing). Elapsed time: 00h 03m 35s 

[20:34:01] Starting bitstream generation..
[20:36:27] Creating bitmap...
[20:36:32] Writing bitstream ./ultra96_board_wrapper.bit...
[20:36:37] Finished 6th of 6 tasks (FPGA bitstream generation). Elapsed time: 00h 02m 36s 

INFO: [VPL 60-841] Created output file: /home/bluetiger/dev/XIlinx/SDx/test/Debug/_sds/p0/vpl/_new_clk_freq
INFO: [VPL 60-841] Created output file: /home/bluetiger/dev/XIlinx/SDx/test/Debug/_sds/p0/vpl/system.hdf
INFO: [VPL 60-841] Created output file: /home/bluetiger/dev/XIlinx/SDx/test/Debug/_sds/p0/vpl/address_map.xml
INFO: [VPL 60-841] Created output file: /home/bluetiger/dev/XIlinx/SDx/test/Debug/_sds/p0/vpl/system.bit
Software tracing enabled
Compile hardware access API functions
Create board support package library
Link application ELF file
SD card folder created /home/bluetiger/dev/XIlinx/SDx/test/Debug/sd_card
Timing constraints are not met.
CRITICAL WARNING: [SdsCompiler 83-5122] Timing constraints were not met, see the report : Partition 0 : Timing summary /home/bluetiger/dev/XIlinx/SDx/test/Debug/_sds/p0/vivado/prj/prj.runs/impl_1/ultra96_board_wrapper_timing_summary_routed.rpt
CRITICAL WARNING: [SdsCompiler 83-5123] Timing constraints were not met in this design.
    Review violations in the timing summary report to identify possible
    causes. You can try running the application, but the design is not
    guaranteed to work. Please refer to 'SDSoC Environment Troubleshooting'
    in 'UG1027 SDSoC Environment User Guide' for additional information.
    If Vivado HLS cannot meet timing, possible solutions include:
    - Try a slower clock frequency for the accelerator
    - Modify the code to allow HLS to generate a faster implementation
    If Vivado cannot meet timing, possible solutions include:
    - Try a slower clock frequency for the accelerator or data motion network
    - Synthesize HLS blocks at a higher clock frequency
    - Optimize HLS code or add directives to improve performance
    - Reduce design size if resource utilization is high
    See also 'UG906 Vivado Design Analysis and Closure Techniques'
    Chapter 2 'Timing Analysis Features (understanding the timing report)'.
sds++ log file saved as /home/bluetiger/dev/XIlinx/SDx/test/Debug/_sds/reports/sds.log

Finished building target: test.elf

20:38:21 Build Finished (took 29m:23s.132ms)

(Note: I also needed to temporarily remove the MIPI CSI2 components from the Vivado design, as this part of the design is not fully finished yet and generating some errors)

(Note2: a CRITICAL WARNING in reported in the log, which I’m not sure what to do with it…)

An executable ELF file and SD card image is generated. I tried to boot the Ultra96 with this image, but it does not works yet (the RED indicator LED remains on; normally there is a RED -> YELLOW transition).

Tomorrow, I will try to see what’s printed on the Serial debug port. I still need to hack a cable for that 2mm pitch connector to be able do this :slight_smile:

Cheers,
Attila

can’t get this working either.

There is a bare metal DSA posted for Ultra96 here:
Ultra96 SDSoC Platform for v2018.2 (baremetal with Xilinx Matrix Multiple Example)
http://ultra96.org/support/design/24166/156

Regarding the SD Card boot, have you already reviewed Tutorial 04 FSBL and Boot from microSD Card (also at the same link above)?

Bryan

Hi Bryan ,

I have done the Tutorial 04 FSBL tutorial and it worked. Also tried an FPGA based Blinky example, which worked too. Note sure what could be wrong with the SDSoC example. Probably I missed something, but I think I really need to check out the serial output to find this out.

Thanks for the DSA files. I have been on the page you linked, I’m not sure how I missed that SDSoC Platform Support Packages link. I will give it a try tomorrow.

Thanks,
Attila

Hi Attila

Did you manage to get reVision working on the Ultra96?

Iain

I’m working on it. I managed to successfully capture image from first OV5647, but I’m having trouble adding the second one. There are some issues on the PL part, causing the PetaLinux build to hang at boot.

The PL has still some free resources, so we may be able to get hardware acceleration working too.

Cheers,
Attila

Thanks for the update. Believe reVision won’t be officially supported on the ultra96 until vivado 2018.3 .

Is it difficult to retarget? Any guidelines, advice?

Many thanks Iain